Lilith & Lulu Duo Mader/Papandreopoulos
- William Bolcom (b. 1938): Lilith:
- 1Lilith: I. The Female Demon03:23
- 2Lilith: II. Succuba02:40
- 3Lilith: III. Will-o'-the-Wisp01:34
- 4Lilith: IV. Child-Stealer03:05
- 5Lilith: V. The Night Dance03:43
- Nadir Vassena (b. 1970): Nocturnes I-III für Altsaxophon und Klavier:
- 6Nocturnes I-III für Altsaxophon und Klavier: Nocturne I06:39
- 7Nocturnes I-III für Altsaxophon und Klavier: Nocturne II05:51
- Sam David Wamper (b. 1983): Portrait of Lilith:
- 8Portrait of Lilith: I. The Storm06:14
- 9Portrait of Lilith: II. The Serpent and the Bird04:47
- 10Portrait of Lilith: III. The Seductress09:02
- Alan Berg (1885 - 1935): Vier Stücke für Klarinette und Klavier, Op.5 (on alto saxophone and piano):
- 11Vier Stücke für Klarinette und Klavier, Op.5 (on alto saxophone and piano): I. Mäßig01:24
- 12Vier Stücke für Klarinette und Klavier, Op.5 (on alto saxophone and piano): II. Sehr langsam02:20
- 13Vier Stücke für Klarinette und Klavier, Op.5 (on alto saxophone and piano): III. Sehr rasch01:09
- 14Vier Stücke für Klarinette und Klavier, Op.5 (on alto saxophone and piano): IV. Sehr langsam03:20
- 15Lulu-Suite: symphonische Stücke aus der Oper Lulu: III. Lied der Lulu (piano reduction by Erwin Stein)02:53
- 16Lulu-Suite: symphonische Stücke aus der Oper Lulu: IV. Variationen (arr. for tenor saxophone and piano by C. Papandreopoulos)03:07
Info for Lilith & Lulu
It is a 60-minute long musical narrative that guides the listener through a dark and mystifying journey. It is there, in this darkness, that the listener meets with the beautiful song and scary sounds of the two night creatures: Lilith & Lulu
“Lilith was Adam’s first wife. She was expelled from the Garden of Eden because she refused to submit to her husband. Lilith was then replaced by Eve and returned as the snake, one of her many transformations. Lulu , created by the playwright Frank Wedekind, was a woman born in a broken and patriarchal society. She was taken advantage of because of her raw femininity, forced even to prostitution, while she remained faithful to her nature and desires. Lulu is portrayed so ambiguously by Wedekind and later by Alban Berg that she can be interpreted either as an innocent victim or a femme fatale. Lilith and Lulu share the same blood. It is a shift in humanity’s perspective: the supernatural Lilith seen as a demon of desolate places returns as the human Lulu, formed and corroded by modern civilization, bound for self-destruction. They are two sides of the same coin” (from the booklet)
Andreas Mader, saxophone
Christos Papandreopoulos, piano
Andreas and Christos formed their Duo to present the modern masterpieces of the saxophone/piano repertoire to a wider audience, as well as to encourage composers to write more for this musical setting. They have received lessons and mentorship from Pierre-Laurent Aimard in Cologne and Arno Bornkamp in Amsterdam.
In 2018 Duo M/P was pronounced one of the winners of the Dutch Classical Talent Tour 2019/20, which enables them to play in 12 of the most important podia in the Netherlands (Muziekgebouw aan ‘t IJ, Muziekgebouw Eindhoven, TivoliVredenburg, Willem Twee Concertzaal Den Bosch, among others). They are also prize-winners at the 1st Birmingham International Piano Chamber Music Festival and won the “Oorkaanprijs 2018” for their project “Lilith & Lulu”.
The Duo has participated in festivals such as Grachtenfestival (NL), Festival Klangbasel (CH), 1st Birmingham Piano Chamber Music Festival (UK), Festival Jong Talent Schiermonnikoog 2018 (NL), among others. In 2019 Duo M/P will participate in festivals such as Oranjewoudfestival and Wonderfeelfestival (NL).
In February 2019 the Duo will release its first CD entitled “Lilith & Lulu” with the Dutch label 7 Mountain Records.
This album contains no booklet.