Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 3 & 4 Freiburger Barockorchester & Pablo Heras-Casado
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy (1809 - 1847): Symphonie Nr.3 „Schottische“, op.56, A minor:
- 1I. Andante con moto - Allegro un poco agitato16:11
- 2II. Vivace non troppo04:29
- 3III. Adagio09:45
- 4IV. Allegro vivacissimo - Allegro maestoso assai09:55
- Symphonie Nr.4 „Italienische“, op.90, A major:
- 5I. Allegro vivace10:29
- 6II. Andante con moto05:07
- 7III. Con moto moderato06:16
- 8IV. Presto and Finale. Saltarello05:20
Info for Mendelssohn: Symphonies No. 3 & 4
In later life, Mendelssohn always opposed the use of the terms ‘Scottish’ and ‘Italian’ for his symphonies in A minor and A major respectively, as if to emphasise their qualities as ‘pure’ music. Yet they were directly inspired by his European Grand Tour of 1829-32: from the gloomy ruins of Holyrood Abbey to the sun-drenched landscapes of Rome and Naples, his imagination fashioned masterpieces that have seldom been surpassed for their sense of orchestral colour, vividly brought out here by the period instruments of the Freiburger Barockorchester.
Pablo Heras-Casado, conductor
No biography found.