The Art of the Modern Trumpet, Vol. 1 Huw Morgan & Patricia Ulrich
- Peter Maxwell Davies (1934 - 2016): Trumpet Sonata, Op. 1:
- 1Trumpet Sonata, Op. 1: I. Allegro moderato01:42
- 2Trumpet Sonata, Op. 1: II. Lento02:54
- 3Trumpet Sonata, Op. 1: III. Allegro vivo02:14
- George Enescu (1881 - 1955):
- Arthur Honegger (1892 - 1955):
- 5Intrada, H. 19304:27
- Paul Hindemith (1895 - 1963): Trumpet Sonata:
- 6Trumpet Sonata: I. Mit Kraft05:37
- 7Trumpet Sonata: II. Mässig bewegt02:32
- 8Trumpet Sonata: III. Trauermusik. Sehr langsam07:43
- Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959):
- 9Trumpet Sonatina, H. 35707:46
- Christopher Williams (b. 1972):
- 10XX Mountains of Abstract Thought09:15
- György Ligeti (1923 - 2006):
- 11Mysteries of the Macabre (Arr. E. Howarth)08:19
Info for The Art of the Modern Trumpet, Vol. 1
The first volume in this groundbreaking series explores the 20th and 21st centuries’ most celebrated works for trumpet and piano; pieces which have allowed the modern performer to discover a kaleidoscopic palette of emotions and characters. From George Enescu’s Légende to Christopher Williams’s XX Mountains of Abstract Thought, the result is an exhilarating journey that surprises and enthralls the listener with tender lyricism, powerful sonorities and stunning virtuosity.
Huw Morgan, trumpet
Patricia Ulrich, piano
Making his Naxos debut as a soloist, Huw Morgan was winner of both the Prague Spring and Ellsworth Smith International Trumpet Competitions in 2016 and is internationally recognized as one of the most sought-after brass players of his generation. He combines a burgeoning solo career with his role as principal trumpet in the Sinfonieorchester Basel and as a founder member of London-based ensemble, Septura. Septura’s most recent Naxos recording (8.573825) was summed up as ‘irresistible’ by The Observer, and the American Record Guide admiring ‘tone qualities [that] are always pure and consistent, blend is impeccable, intonation flawless…’ Winner of the both the Prague Spring and Ellsworth Smith international trumpet competitions in 2016, Huw Morgan combines a burgeoning solo career with his role as principal trumpet in the Sinfonieorchester Basel.
Highlights in recent seasons include concerto appearances with the BBC National Orchestra of Wales, Northern Sinfonia, Irish Chamber Orchestra, Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Hamburg Camerata and European Union Chamber Orchestra.
Alongside his solo activities, Huw appears regularly as guest principal with many of the UK’s leading ensembles, including the London Symphony Orchestra, Orchestra of the Royal Opera House and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
is a respected soloist and an experienced specialist in working with brass musicians, being accompanist for brass at the conservatories of Bern, Basel and Lucerne and working with trumpet teachers such as Markus Würsch, Klaus Schuhwerk and Immanuel Richter. In addition to her chamber music performances, Ulrich is a member of Switzerland’s renowned 21st Century Orchestra, and is a much sought-after accompanist for masterclasses and competitions.