Saint-Saëns: Symphonic Poems - Le Carnaval des animaux - L'Assassinat du duc de Guise Les Siècles & François-Xavier Roth
- Camille Saint-Saëns (1835 - 1921): Phaéton, Op. 39:
- 1Saint-Saëns: Phaéton, Op. 3908:08
- La Jeunesse d'Hercule, Op. 50:
- 2Saint-Saëns: La Jeunesse d'Hercule, Op. 5018:29
- Le Rouet d'Omphale, Op. 31:
- 3Saint-Saëns: Le Rouet d'Omphale, Op. 3108:29
- Danse Macabre: Danse macabre, Op. 40:
- 4Saint-Saëns: Danse Macabre: Danse macabre, Op. 4006:51
- Samson et Dalila, Op. 47, Act III Scene 2:
- 5Saint-Saëns: Samson et Dalila, Op. 47, Act III Scene 2: Bacchanale07:18
- Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125:
- 6Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: I. Introduction et Marche royale du lion02:07
- 7Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: II. Poules et Coqs00:54
- 8Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: III. Hémiones (Animaux véloces)00:38
- 9Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: IV. Tortues01:49
- 10Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: V. L'Éléphant01:42
- 11Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: VI. Kangourous00:57
- 12Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: VII. Aquarium02:34
- 13Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: VIII. Personnages à longues oreilles00:56
- 14Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: IX. Le Coucou au fond des bois02:19
- 15Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: X. Volière01:16
- 16Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: XI. Pianistes01:35
- 17Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: XII. Fossiles01:24
- 18Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: XIII. Le Cygne02:58
- 19Saint-Saëns: Le Carnaval des Animaux, R. 125: XIV. Final02:02
- L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128:
- 20Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Prélude00:52
- 21Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Premier tableau02:57
- 22Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Deuxième tableau04:23
- 23Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Troisième tableau02:12
- 24Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Quatrième tableau07:59
- 25Saint-Saëns: L'Assassinat du duc de Guise, Op. 128: Cinquième tableau02:13
Info for Saint-Saëns: Symphonic Poems - Le Carnaval des animaux - L'Assassinat du duc de Guise
François-Xavier Roth and Les Siècles offer us a double-sided portrait of Saint-Saëns here. On one side, some of the most fascinating symphonic poems of French Romanticism are revealed in all the shimmering timbres of the period. On the other, we rediscover a composer who enjoyed a good laugh (The Carnival of the Animals also returns to its original colours!), when he was not involved in the early days of the cinema, with the very first music ever composed for a film!
François-Marie Drieux, solo violin
François-Xavier Roth, conductor
Les Siecles & Francois-Xavier Roth
Formed in the summer of 2003 by François-Xavier Roth, Les Siècles comprises outstanding young players pooled from the very finest French ensembles. Roth’s founding ambition was for his orchestra to offer a new approach, not only to repertoire but also to the nature of the concert form.
With a vast period-instrument collection at its disposal, spanning the baroque, classical, romantic and modern eras, the orchestra’s repertoire is notably wide in range. Les Siècles is one of a small number of ensembles to employ period and modern instruments, playing each repertoire on appropriate instruments. Its flexible and historically informed work delivers a unique strand of creative programming. François-Xavier Roth and the musicians of Les Siècles have made a distinctive mark at home and abroad, presenting an orchestra for the 21st century. They have given well over 600 performances in France alone, including regular performances in Paris Philharmonie and appearances at leading festivals throughout France. In addition to its work in France, Les Siècles is increasingly visible on the international scene. Its global profile has been magnified in recent seasons with concerts in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, London, Germany, Portugal, Italy, China and Japan.
Les Siècles are associated artist in Paris Philharmonie.
Les Siècles are also in residency in the Aisne department, associated artist at La Cité de la Musique de Soissons and give regularly concerts in Sénart, Nîmes, Amiens, Caen, Royaumont, La Côte-Saint-André, Aix-en-Provence and in other places as London (BBC Proms, Royal Festival Hall), Amsterdam (Concertgebouw), Berlin (Konzerthaus), Bremen, Bruxelles (Klara Festival), Montecarlo, Wiesbaden, Köln, Luxembourg, Tokyo, Essen… Their recordings of the three Stravinsky’s ballets (L’Oiseau de Feu, Petrouchka et le Sacre du Printemps) received the Jahrespreis 2015 der Deutschen Schallplatten Kritik and won the Edison Klassiek award in Holland. Their Debussy disc was elected Sunday Times Disc of the year and Editor’s choice in the BBC Music Magazine and Gramophone. In march 2017, Les Siècles started to work with Harmonia Mundi label for their last release : Ravel’s Daphnis & Chloé. The disc received many awards : Gramophone Editor’s choice june 2017, Rondo Magazin CD des Monats may 2017, Music web international recording of the month, 5 stars of Diapason, FFFF of Télérama, Le choix de France Musique, la Clé du mois de Resmusica, The Arts Desk Cd of the week, Supersonic Pizzicato, Top Mezzo, Limelight magazine’s five stars.
The musicians of Les Siècles propose regularly several educational actions in schools, hospitals, retirement homes and prisons. The orchestra is partner of Jeune Symphonie de l’Aisne, Jeune Orchestre Européen Hector Berlioz and Demos (musical and social educational project) in Hauts-de-France and Île-de-France. The orchestra is one of the initiator of “Music in the hospital” project proposed in the pediatric haematology-oncology Trousseau Hospital’s service in Paris. He also created an educational residency in La Petite Bibliothèque Ronde de Clamart. Les Siècles are also the creator and the main feature of the TV show « Presto » which has been broadcast regularly on France 2 since 2007. Mécénat Musical Société Générale is the main sponsor of Les Siècles.
The orchestra is also financed by the French Ministère de la Culture et de la Communication and DRAC Hauts-de-France. Since 2011, the orchestra is supported by the Département de l’Aisne to reinforce its artistic and educational presence on this territory, especially in the Cité de la Musique de Soissons. The orchestra regularly performs in Hauts-de-Seine with the support of the city of Nanterre. Les Siècles is resident orchestra in Théâtre-Sénart of Lieusaint, and associated artist in Théâtre de Nîmes, Théâtre du Beauvaisis, Les Musicales de Normandie festival and the Berlioz Festival of La Côte-Saint-André.
The orchestra is sponsored by the Palazzetto Bru Zane-Centre de musique romantique française, the Echanges and Bibliothèques association and occasionally by the SPEDIDAM, ADAMI, Bureau Export, Institut Français, SPPF and FCM.
Les Siècles is administrator member of the FEVIS and the Association Française des Orchestres, then associated member of SPPF.